You know what they say: A strong core is essential to optimal movement. It’s central to making sure your abs are strong and stable to help you get through everyday life because every time you laugh, have a bowel moment, pick up objects, walk, and stand up, your core is involved.
Not to mention, when you do more intense types of activities such as running and jumping, your abs are a key player. There are a plethora of moves you can do for a strong, stabilized core and if you aren’t sure where to begin, we recommend starting with the kolar dead bug exercise.
“This variation of the traditional dead bug forces you to integrate proper abdominal function while practicing your breathing which is key to core stabilization,” says David Jou, PT, DPT, co-founder of Motivny in New York City. Although this move requires zero equipment, don’t underestimate just how intense it will feel after a few reps.
You can add it to the beginning of your workout to activate your core or you can incorporate it into your workout routine as active recovery or as part of your core-specific training. No matter when you choose to do it, don’t forget to move slow and controlled. Continue reading for instructions on how to do the kolar dead bug.
How to Do a Kolar Dead Bug
1. Start by laying on your back perpendicular to a wall.
2. Flex your hips to 90 degrees, and then reach overhead driving your hands into the wall. Maintain this position while breathing into your abdomen throughout the duration of the exercise.
3. With control, lower your left heel to the ground, tapping the ground. The movement should come from your abs, not your hip flexors. Return your left leg to the starting position, then repeat with the right leg. Be sure to fix your ribcage down into the floor on the exhale.
4. Perform 12 reps for a total of four to five sets.
5. To make this move more challenging, extend one leg out at a time, holding just above the ground before alternating.
Oh hi! You look like someone who loves free workouts, discounts for cult-fave wellness brands, and exclusive Well+Good content. Sign up for Well+, our online community of wellness insiders, and unlock your rewards instantly.